Our work uses machine learning techniques to build adaptive user interfaces that support the user’s changing cognitive state and context.
Drexel AIR Lab also participates in the Drexel REThink Research Experience for Teachers on Machine Learning to Enhance Human Centered Computing. STEM and Computer Science high school teachers and 2-year college faculty in the Philadelphia Area are encouraged to apply for this program running this summer. Deadline: March 31
- E.T. Solovey, D. Afergan, E.M. Peck, S. Hincks, R.J.K. Jacob, Designing Implicit Interfaces for Physiological Computing: Guidelines and Lessons Learned using fNIRS, ACM Transactions on Computer-Human Interaction (TOCHI) Vol. 21, Iss. 6., 2015.
- E.T. Solovey, M. Zec, E. Garcia Perez, B. Reimer, B. Mehler. Classifying Driver Workload Using Physiological and Driving Performance Data: Two Field Studies. Proc. ACM Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems CHI ’14, ACM Press (2014). Best Paper Award Honorable Mention.
- D. Afergan, E. Peck, E.T. Solovey, A. Jenkins, S. Hincks, E.T. Brown, R. Chang, R.J.K. Jacob. Dynamic Difficulty Using Brain Metrics of Workload. Proc. ACM Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems CHI ’14, ACM Press (2014). Best Paper Award Honorable Mention.
- A. Girouard, E.T. Solovey, and R.J.K. Jacob, Designing a Passive Brain Computer Interface using Real Time Classification of Functional Near-Infrared Spectroscopy, International Journal of Autonomous and Adaptive Communications Systems (2013).
- E.T. Solovey, et al., Brainput: Enhancing Interactive Systems with Streaming fNIRS Brain Input, Proc. ACM Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems CHI’12, ACM Press (2012). Best Paper Award Honorable Mention.
- L.M. Hirshfield, E.T. Solovey, A. Girouard, J. Kebinger, R.J.K. Jacob, A. Sassaroli, and S. Fantini , Brain Measurement for Usability Testing and Adaptive Interfaces: An Example of Uncovering Syntactic Workload with Functional Near Infrared Spectroscopy, Proc. ACM CHI 2009 Human Factors in Computing Systems Conference, ACM Press (2009).
- A. Girouard, E.T. Solovey, L.M. Hirshfield, K. Chauncey, A. Sassaroli, S. Fantini, and R.J.K. Jacob, Distinguishing Difficulty Levels with Non-invasive Brain Activity Measurements, Proc. INTERACT 2009 Conference (2009).
- L. Hirshfield, K. Chauncey, R. Gulotta, A. Girouard, E. Solovey, R. Jacob, A. Sassaroli, and S. Fantini, Combining Electroencephalograph and Near Infrared Spectroscopy to Explore Users' Instantaneous and Continuous Mental Workload States, HCI International 2009 13th International Conference on Human-Computer Interaction, Springer (2009).
- A. Sassaroli, F. Zheng, L.M. Hirshfield, A. Girouard, E.T. Solovey, R.J.K. Jacob, and S. Fantini, Discrimination of Mental Workload Levels in Human Subjects with Functional Near-Infrared Spectroscopy, Journal of Innovative Optical Health Sciences (2008).
- A. Sassaroli, Y. Tong, L. M. Hirshfield, A. Girouard, E. T. Solovey, R. J. K. Jacob, S. Fantini, Real-time assessment of mental workload with near infrared spectroscopy: potential for human-computer interaction, OSA topical meeting, BIOMED, BMD14 (2008)
- L.M. Hirshfield, A. Girouard, E.T. Solovey, R.J.K. Jacob, A. Sassaroli, Y. Tong, and S. Fantini , Human-Computer Interaction and Brain Measurement Using Functional Near-Infrared Spectroscopy, ACM UIST 2007 Symposium on User Interface Software and Technology, ACM Press, Poster paper (2007).